Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Oregon Trail

I'm still debating whether to consider myself a native or not....I have been told that our household has had a computer since before i arrived in this world (1981) but i can't prove it... here is what i do know for sure...

i was in first grade when i used my first computer. I had been tested and accepted into a gifted program called Horizons. Twice a week 12 other kids throughout the school district and I were bussed to another school . The very first day i was introduced to my computer. I can say "my" because it was, I used the same green screen Mac for four years untill it was time for an upgrade. Man did I love that thing....especially The Oregon Trail. I think i set the record for most times in trouble for "screwing around" on the computers. Whenever we would do exercises and projects, I would alaways "fly" through it so could play that damn game. I think they should remake a version for playstation /xbox...i would deffinately buy it.

It wasn't until my third grade year that I saw computers in my regular, day to day, classroom. They were the same green screen Macs that i had in my Horizons classroom. I will never forget... in 5th grade i actually learned how to write code and me and three others had to make a game for a project...totally awsome.

so.. weather or not i am a digital native or not, the technology has deffinately influenced my life in a major way. It doesn't really matter to me what category I'm placed in, as long as I'm here now.

No comments: