Wednesday, November 19, 2008

As Good As It Gets

The path i have taken thus far in life has been bumpy but seems to be smoothing out. I have been traveling around without a care in the world ever since i left Ohio State a few years ago. I got the idea in my head that college was a joke, wasting both my time and money. I was taking classes that felt like they were pointless. I guess that didn't understand the whole "exploration" part of a four year college. I really didn't know what i wanted to do so i tried a little of everything and came up short by not finding something that caught my attention.

The real problem was that it wasn't challenging me enough. I really only had 2 courses that gave me any trouble what so ever. The first one was a calculus class, and yeah i know, most would say that is just a hard course all together but not for me. for some reason math is the one subject that i excel at. The course was tough because the teacher didn't really teach, to me she was just a grader. Assigning homework out of the text book, collecting it first thing, and then taking the rest of the class time to grade the homework while we got started on the next assignment. This one class made me rethink everything. Why should some pay so much money for so little? The tuition wasn't cheap and in my eyes it should include some kind of instruction and not just someone there to grade homework and tests. When you take the teacher out of the teacher+student equation it no longer equals learning, rather memorizing.

My story really boils down to this..... I was really skeptical about returning back to school, thinking that it was going to be the same old thing and man was I surprised. I know some people that have graduatedthe DMD program and spoke very highly of it. I'm happy to say that my expectations have been eclipsed. I love how all of my teachers work together to make every class fit with the other. They all put 100% in what they do and how they teach us. Even though i haven't worked with all of them I have observed them teaching and damn I'm impressed. When the teachers are excited and actually care about the students it drives the students to listen and want to make those teachers proud. I can't wait to meet the rest of them and get the full experience of the program.

This class really sparked my interest in the "cause and effect" aspects of the digital world . I loved learning about the history and early tech aspects of the web.... and now I love the fact that we are starting to get so hands on with web 2.0... like this new wiki project.... how fun? Another student and I started talking the other day, in a different class, about this project and decided to work as a team on some really good ideas that have us both pretty excited. I have never experienced learning like this, where the classes are so closely related and in sync with each other and the students actually want to learn. It's what I have always thought school should be...finally something that makes sense.

1 comment:

Thomas Davis said...

I wanted to comment on the last part of your message. It's great to hear about the dialogue you had with a classmate regarding the wiki. For me, I'm having problems conceptualizing what's needed...perhaps because of my remoteness from the main campus (being in the DMD program) and where I live. Honestly, the current COTC website doesn't actually provide useful content (without digging a little). Or maybe I'm just extremely exhausted. Anyway, I wanted to respond that it's great to hear of your enthusiasm. Kudos