Wednesday, November 19, 2008

College Life As I Know It

After graduating form Lancaster High School in 2003, I had a faint view as to what I wanted to pursue in a career. In high school I took Machine Technology, Engineering Technology, and Drawing Design classes. At that time I worked in construction as a sub-contractor for a small company. Business started to slow so I moved on.

I enrolled at Ohio University Lancaster looking to work my way toward a degree in engineering graphics using CAD. I liked the classes that work with CAD, mainly because the work was on a computer. On the other hand, the electives that are required to move up their tier system were dry and boring. I lost interest in the classes and just worked to get by. I decided it was time for a change.

A few of my friends were taking classes at Central Ohio Technical College, so I asked them, "How is it?" They only had praise in their answers so I hopped on the Web and scanned the programs. I was looking for something CAD related and stumbled upon the Digital Media Degree program. My first thought was, "WOW!" It seemed to tailor to me perfectly.

After I enrolled and attended a few classes I felt like saying, "Where the hell have you been all my life?" The classes are fun. We get to work on some really neat and exciting projects that push the creativity envelope. I found questions to answers that I had for a long time. The program has helped me to move out of a shy shell that plagued me since I was a young.

The people I've met, while in the program, are some of the most interesting and creative I have ever seen. Every professor is strong in their subject and willing to go out of their way to help and inspire the students. Not only that, but also, to help students inspire each other. The program has changed my life forever in ways that mirror over to everyday life.

It is intense, stressful, and rewarding all at the same time. The program worked well with my full-time schedule at Wal-Mart in Canal Winchester, but it was a ton of driving. There have been many sleepless nights but I have fun with the work that I do. As they say, "Whistle while you work." What would I trade for my experience at Central Ohio Technical College? Nothing!

2 comments:

proudmommaof2 said...

I totally agree with you about the experience here at COTC! I have friends that attend Columbus State and OSU main campus and they are always complaining about the assignments or the staff, the other students. When I hear them I praise about our college, its one of the most friendly and yet challenging colleges around here!

Zachariah E Biggs said...

Allen,

I enjoyed reading your post. I have had a similar reaction to the classes in the DMD program. I enrolled in the program mainly for the photography classes, but I've found myself intrigued more and more by every class I take. Just wanted to say that I know how you feel, and I'm glad to know that someone else has had a similar experience with this.

-Zack