Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Learning to see does not have an end

As a young boy I had always liked to draw. During my time in elementary school drawing was one of my favorite things to do and I did not understand why. We were always heavily pushed in other areas of knowledge such as math, reading, science, and so on. I could never get the drawings right since I was largely accessing my symbol system. I wanted realism. When I moved on to middle school we had the option of taking an "art" class. I enrolled in the class and thus began my dwelling into the unknown. Mr. Fish was my first true "seeing" teacher. We learned that you must see the smaller details involved in the framed space. Whether it was drawing a still-life with graphite or just dabbling around with mixed medias, I found how to manipulate the paper in front of me. On that piece of paper, I could put anything in its empty space. I continued to work on my drawing skills and when I made it to high school I was ready for more knowledge in the area of drawing and design. I completed two drawings, one of a snake on scratchboard and the other of a tiger. They were both entered into the high school's art exhibit. When I watched people pass by and talk about what they were seeing on the wall, they all had a different personal relation with it in some way or another. I found that, with the artwork, you could give someone an experience in that space. When I was drawing I would lose my track of time and get into my own space. After enrolling in the Digital Media Design program I finally received answers for many questions I had on my feelings of drawing and design. I never realized that the left and right hand side of my brain was working together and seperate at the same time. These findings have essentially enriched my life to what I know and see today. I am grateful to have amazing teachers. My skills and talents will be used to help someone who might be wearing my old shoes.

No comments: