Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Everything Web 2.0

I mean everything I learn today is from the Web and when my daughters have a question, guess what, yep the Web. Just last night both my daughters we're asking me what the seven wonders of the world are. Well of course I start rattling off "The ancient wonders of the world" get stuck on about 4 and realize we need to be on the Web looking this stuff up, by the way the there are modern wonders I learned about too. So we are going through this stuff and learning together, and of course there's words that can't be pronounced. So naturally we navigate to dictionary.com and look up the words and have them pronounced for us using wav files.
The web has also given me the opprotunity to cross-reference anything anybody says anytime. I love this new ability because it thwarts the spread of misinformation. Just the other day somebody was talking about Jesse Owens and about the 1936 Olympics, they was totally screwing up the facts so I immediately started looking this stuff up and showing them the facts, and together we learn about stuff way before our time, watched a video of it on YouTube and came away enlighten on the whole subject.

3 comments:

proudmommaof2 said...

this is so true, I do the exact same thing with my kids and with my nieces and nephews if they get stumped on a homework assignment or a school project. Its really cool that we are able to find the things that we are looking for but the learning experience that we get to share with our kids and the fun behind the "hunt" if you will is totally priceless!

Thomas Davis said...

That is so cool! Realize how integrated and plugged in future generations will be. More than generations are now, and that's hard to believe. Everyone should read M.T. Anderson's book called Feed. Although it proposes somewhat of a dark future for youth of the world, it's quite prophetic. I do wonder how often in the future fully plugged-in people will say, when posed with a question, "Let's check a book," or "Open the phonebook." For the sake of saving trees, Hallelujah, but isn't there something sacred and advantageous towards print or is it all just for sentimental sake...I feel old. I actually enjoy going to OSU's main library in order search for topics. Most often the sources are more credible and extensive. Once all print material goes digital...then we're set.

Zachariah E Biggs said...

Roger,
Guilty as charged, I do the same thing. I'm constantly having to correct someone's facts, and they never take my word for it, so for a person that loves to prove himself right, the internet has been a life saver.

Besides my pride, the Web helps in many other ways as well, and really, I am constantly learning from something on the web. Whether it's just a curiosity or a need to know, I'm constantly Google-ing something.

Here's to a constant source of information pumped right into our homes and offices. Here, here!!

-Zack