Monday, November 3, 2008

33 in a 20

Speeding tickets are a reminder that we all need to slow down.  The analogy for life.  But do we ever learn our lesson?  Perhaps.  Or perhaps we learn that in a specific situation or context, our actions are not the desired ones.  But I know that I will not mistakingly miss the flashing school lights sign as I enter Alexandria again.  15 minutes earlier and I would have been going under the 35 mpg speed limit.  However, will I apply this lesson in a different context or location? Probably not.

Slowing down seems counterintuitive to the American culture or even the World culture.  Slowing down makes us prone to laziness and defeat.  I need to get to my next location ten minutes before I am supposed to, so that I can quickly complete a goal that would most likely get done anyway.  Typically I still get to bed.  Whatever I don't accomplish the night before does get done unless I'm facing some type of deadline (which in my case right now life is a deadline).  Then I forgo sleep in order to get the needed task accomplished.  I'm rambling.

Learning a concept is one thing.  But to process, practice, embed, and recall the said concept is another.  It takes conscious effort.  When I arrived in the next town, Johnstown, to flashing lights, I found it difficult to drive 20 mph.  Perhaps I'm desensitized to speed.   I mean 20 mph is fast.  I can't run 20 mph.  And I'm pretty sure I can't ride my bike that fast...for a prolonged amount of time.  I had to force myself to raise my foot off of the accelerator.  I actually had to resist the urge to not comply.  Wouldn't it be better to arrive everywhere faster?  Even an ugly city can appear beautiful when driving too fast to process it.  Calm down, I'm not implying these cities are ugly.  

That's our problem.  At least one of them.  We are a culture that has chosen to bypass the process of... processing.  We want it our way. All the way.  We want to believe that we understand when perhaps we don't.  Or worse, we want to pretend we understand when we know we don't.  I saw it in the educational system clearly.  But I think it is much more prevalent in life than we would like to think.  Who has problems remembering names? 

Several bloggers hands go up.

Bad memory or a lack of conscious effort?



No comments: