Tuesday, November 25, 2008

the internet...the life line?

I too am taking 2 online classes this quarter, Human Anatomy and Physiology and of course this one. I have taken previous online courses prior to this quarter, but by far I have to say that this one has brought so much more to the table for me than any of the others.

I use the web everyday, several times a day. Not just for school, but for everything! If I need to find as address or a phone number to a local business I log online, or if I want to surf the web, its a daily part of my life. My husband jokes and says that its like a life line to me and that I would totally be lost without it, and sometimes I agree sadly but it is what it is right?! I know that I am not the only person that uses the web at least once a day be it for a school assignment or strictly out of fun, but its sort of an addiction. I want to see what's new out there, read things recently posted to our blog and to others as well. Has the Internet became a life line to me and to thousands of others out there? I don't know but I sure do enjoy having all of the amazing and wonderful technology that is offered from it :o)

3 comments:

Thomas Davis said...

I agree. The Internet is totally becoming a lifeline. I wonder, though. How many of us actually become active participants of it versus leeches. Is there a difference? It's quite different to be a leech. Wake-up, check email. Get to work, check facebook...twenty times. Get home, zone out by watching television shows on it. It's a cyber junkies crack and Time Warner is the dealer. How many people fall into this category versus those who are active participants - users who contribute to Wiki's, upload and manage their YouTube account, and "managing" their blog?

Also, a random thought, consider the void that exists when much of our communication is created on the net, especially between partners. At the end of your message you made this :o) It's fascinating how often these emoticons are used, isn't it? Just a random thought.

Zachariah E Biggs said...

A addiction? Probably, but I don't think it's as bad as it sounds. It's only bad if it takes away from positive things in our lives right? I'm constantly checking something online and sometimes my wife will have to remind me how long I've been plugged in so I can step away for a minute. This class has probably increased my amount of time on the web, but at least I feel like I'm being constructive in this class and not just researching a topic and then righting a report. Being this truly interactive in a class has been a very unique experience. Much different than your average online class and in a very good way. I've truly enjoyed this blog and am loving the Wiki site.

Thanks for sharing.

-Zack

jeslynallen said...

I agree that the internet is a lifeline to existance anymore. My job primarily focuses on internet research (along with excel spreadsheets out of this world).

I am constantly online and I would have to venture to say that in any given week, I am on the internet 15-20 times longer than I watch TV!!! It is insane with having to constantly check my email, my MySpace, my Facebook, and not to mention attend classes online!