Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Down to the wire...

So in this entry, I'm getting it just in time.

Focusing on the prompt from the lecture, Web 2.0 hasn't affected my learning much at all, not in the traditional, institutionalized way - public eduction.  Of course this class is different.  It's affecting me quite a bit.  And as for being a self-learner, Web 2.0 has definitely educated me - from understanding educational theory all the way to learning how to fold a shirt in one sweeping motion.

But Web 2.0 has directly affected the way I taught when I was a high school teacher.  Although I didn't know it at the time, I was using Web 2.0 as a tool to educate or to reinforce characterization, theme, dialogue, and setting in books that were read for the classroom, most noticeably Catcher in the Rye.  Being a firm believer of tailoring teaching so that content is applicable to students' lives, I strove to bring texts down a notch, within the realm of the student.  Once on their level, I helped push their thinking.  MySpace, I'm sure, loved me.  Groups had to create a shared mySpace account for one of the character from the book.  They were to create a mini-network and justification for the network.  Holden wouldn't necessarily befriend Maurice, the pimp in charge of the prostitute with whom Holden just couldn't "get in the mood."  However, if they chose "to be" Maurice, an agreeable match-up had to be created.  Profile pictures were to be added (school appropriate of course), comments were to be made, and customization had to be selected. Students loved this assignment.  They dove deeply into the inner-workings of characters, which provided great content for class.  It was encouraging to see non-students  wanting to get in on the discussion for those that were familiar with the book. They became part of the exchange after becoming friends with Holden, Stradlater, or his sister, Phoebe.   People began teaching people.  These accounts have since been deleted, but I know that the students will remember this assignment.

2 comments:

Zachariah E Biggs said...

Thomas,
That's a very interesting technique, using MySpace. I can see why the students would be very interested in learning the content. Seems to me to be ingenious. Was there a noticeable difference in the amount of students that really got involved as compared to a "normal" way of learning/teaching the content? I imagine there was. What grade were these students? Was that your idea or did you hear about it somewhere? I'm just curious because it seems like a very good way to teach about the depths of the characters in novels. I've always believed that the best teachers are the ones that can make a student take a real interest in the content. Anyway, thanks for another interesting and thought provoking post.

-Zack

Thomas Davis said...

Oh, absolutely! Students couldn't wait to discuss, regardless of the student's learning style and level. And for students who lacked an Internet connection (there were always some), they were eager to contribute textually by providing inspiration from the book.

Students need to feel a sense of ownership. Their interpretation is often as priceless and valuable as that of the instructor, critic, professor...as long as it's introspective, educated, reasonable, and supported.

I just developed the idea on my own. Some teachers I think would frown upon it because of the "noise" or distractions on mySpace...crude advertisements for example. But it is a platform. An opportunity for students to learn through the use of their tools, on their terms instead of me using a lame overhead projector and a chalkboard.

Was their a time for me to sit down and discuss sections from the book, discuss themes, have them take a reading quiz? Absolutely. The on going project was merely a vehicle for the larger goal - understanding the elements of fiction through the use of supplemental material.

Quite honestly, without offending any of my past teachers from high school, it only takes half a brain to know how to hook a student. It takes a whole brain to care.

Thanks for the response.