Tuesday, November 25, 2008

2.0h yeah!

All i can say is that I love Web 2.0.

I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of sites like youtube, I do use them every once in a while. i guess it's not that i am not a fan, i just don't hang out on the site for hours like others. In a weird way i kind of agree with that Andrew Keen guy when he talks about 2.0 under minding mainstream media but i don't think that it could get to the point where no media professionals, like mscians, will be wiped out. As for the rest of his argument, i think its crap. Maybe thats the real difference between an digital native and others, we are much more open minded about things. We tend to adapt and figure things out as we go, we have been doing it since the beginning and it has worked thus far. By nature, we are improvisors...

I am proud of the fact that i am taking part in the building one of the most important and influential things in history, the Web. That is one of the reasons why i chose the web design field. Maybe there needs to be better filtering and maybe there needs to be some kind of editing but the just the idea Web 2.0 gets me all worked up. To me it's like we are all cavemen (or cavewomen) making drawings on the wall of a cave. We get a chance to leave our stories around for anyone who wants to find and read them.

On a side note, i really thought that the woman who was spitting that crazy rhyme on the lecture video this week had a good point. Her message was good and the way she told it was awesome. Her method for getting her message across was really effective. I wanted her to keep going when she stopped. I do like Myspace but I don't check it every hour and i don't sit on it for long periods of time. It is just a means for me to shout at my friends that i don't get a chance to talk to very often I think that there is a point when we should draw the line and keep things to ourselves.

Final thought...this weeks lectures and videos had some good stuff in them to think about, I really liked them.

2 comments:

Thomas Davis said...

Your title makes me think of Mr. Kool-Aid. Oh, yeah!

I'm just commenting on the first part of what you said:

" i guess it's not that i am not a fan, i just don't hang out on the site for hours like others."

I hear you on this. And while I did hang out on some sites for entirely too long at times, I was quick to move on after a period of obsession. Blame my over-marketed mind. Perhaps web 3.0 will close the void between the addicted and the mild users. Web 3.0 may require us to be connected 24/7, so while we may feel as if we are disconnected from the web when on the road or in class, in some way we are merely in a state of denial. We will be connected to some site, some service, incessantly.

Roger said...

I am not a huge fan of YouTube either but I am a huge fan of it being there for me anytime I want to use it. I like the idea of picking my own content to interact with. I was really out of touch with everything that "Keen guy" had to say, he came off as snobbish to me, which made it hard for me to listen to what he had to say. There has been many cases where Web 2.0 content has become mainstream media. With that said, I really liked the lectures as well, they got me thinking about stuff I have never thought about before, I feel enlighten.