Saturday, November 15, 2008

Digital Native, Schmative

After much resistance, I've decided to jump in the "blog pool" and finally comment. Not that I don't follow blogs, mind you, I've just never felt the overwhelming need to comment. I've just been enjoying the conversation as a "lurker" as we are so often called. And that segues right into what my topic is today, labels.

I detest labels and don’t like being labeled. This resentment of labels reared its ugly head again when someone recently referred to me as a Digital Immigrant. Sigh. It seems people have been trying to label me ever since the label Baby Boomer was created. I think the resentment lies in the fact that in some cases I fall into the Baby Boomer category and in others I do not. It depends on what expert defines who is or is not a Boomer. My birth date is in that grey area. So I’ve spent my life with those firmly rooted in the Baby Boomer category either telling me I am or am not a fellow Boomer. Frankly, I don’t care. I share some of the traits of a Boomer but thankfully, not all. Thus, this is the root of my label resentment. I don’t fit into one neat category.

So, back to the Digital Native subject. From what I gleaned from online sources, the term “Digital Native” was coined by Marc Prensky in an article published in October 2001. Mr. Prensky is “an internationally acclaimed thought leader, speaker, writer, consultant, and game designer in the critical areas of education and learning. He is the author of Digital Game-Based Learning (McGraw-Hill, 2001), founder and CEO of Games2train, a game-based learning company.” Quoted from On the Horizon (MCB University Press, Vol. 9 No. 5, October 2001). According to Mr. Prensky’s definitions of Digital Native and Digital Immigrant, I am neither. In order to make sure, I also took a quiz entitled “Are you a digital native” that I found on the DigitalNative.org, a website produced and maintained by Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University and the Research Center for Information Law at the University of St. Gallen. According to the quiz, I’m 50% Digital Native. Sigh. Alas, no label for me.

All of this reaffirms what I knew already. Even though I was born in the sixties, I embraced computer technology as soon as it was made available to me, somewhere around 1977 or 78. And I haven’t looked back since. I purchased a desktop computer as soon as I could afford it (1990) and dialed up OCLC (Online Computer Library Center) immediately. This was the only online access of information I could get at the time. I’ve owned dozens of computers since, have taken apart and rebuilt my own computers, have been “surfing the web” since 1993, and spent seven years in the eighties and nineties teaching adults all over the country how to use computers and software. I shop for everything online including items such as cat food, shampoo, makeup, coffee, cooking utensils, pots, pans, electronics, bed sheets, pillows, clothing…you name it, I’ve bought it online. I made purchases on eBay in its infancy. I can find anything on the web; just ask anyone who knows me. I have a MySpace page, a Facebook page and subscribe to several blogs through RSS feeds. The only television programming I watch I have recorded on my DVR. I have taken dozens of online classes and I met my husband online through a dating service. I am more technically savvy then most of those who qualify as Digital Natives.

Now, finally, this brings me to my point. The current trend in education is to reach and teach Digital Natives. That is good in that educators are looking to learn how to best teach our current constituency. What is bad, however, is that we’ve lumped all students of a certain age into one single category. And while some do qualify as Digital Natives, others most decidedly do not or maybe only 50%. Mr. Prensky makes his living creating and selling digital games for education. How much credence should we give him and his definitions? Are we over-reacting as we did with the first generation to grow up with television? According to “studies” at the time, the first generation to grow up with television was going to end up generally stupid and violent (I’m one of that generation, by the way). According to experts, our attention spans were shortened by the viewing of television, and we weren’t able learn like our parents did. Televisions were brought into the classroom so we could watch videos rather than movies or filmstrips. Did it help? I’m not sure. I have to admit, that while I watched a lot of television, I also read just as much and I am far from stupid and violent.

So, what is the answer to how we teach the students of today? Textbooks or no textbooks? Video games? Twitter? Blogs? Wikis? Online or face-to-face? I’m not sure. My approach is to try and see but not abandon what has worked for me in my classroom in the past. We have to avoid the “throwing the baby out with the bathwater” approach. I’ve watched both my sons suffer though an education system that totally re-invents itself every two or so years, sometimes with devastating consequences. Some teachers are so focused on the most current, trendy method; they throw out some methods that are proven to work in order to be considered up-to-the-minute with their teaching. As if adopting something that is trendy at the time makes up for truly assessing their methods over time and making adjustments as needed.

Here is a quote I found that pretty much sums up how I feel about teaching and teachers. "A good teacher can teach with nothing more than a stick to write with in the dirt," author unknown. I strive to be that kind of teacher.

2 comments:

Thomas Davis said...

I'm with you in terms of education and practices in teaching. As a high school teacher, we are expected to adopt new teaching methods as they are developed in order to meet standards set by the state, which is overseen more or less by the government (NCLB). There is a divide between old school practices and new school practices in schools. Many resisting change, many embracing. The divide is narrowing as many "old methodsl" teachers retire. This, of course, isn't ideal; as you stated, there are many older methods that do work. One method that I particularly hated but benefited from was diagramming sentences in middle and high school. While it seems the current trend in education seems to suggest that we MUST teach so that students enjoy the procedure, I lean often towards students enjoying the content. The procedure should be made inconspicuous. Nothing is more remarkable and rewarding than when a student realizes that they made a discovery or overcame a learning obstacle on their own through the efforts of...you. And if diagramming sentences will help you understand what a gerund is, then so be it.

However, newer methods are sometimes needed. Teaching with aged methods would be like teaching Latin for effective communication. It isn't applicable unless to reinforce Latin roots. Methods need to meet students where they are not vice versa. I think we would definitely agree with that. I was taught by many teachers in high school via strict lecture. For some it worked; for many it did not.

As for schools reinventing themselves, the pressure placed on by the state is insurmountable. For example, if schools fail to meet the state standards funding is taken away, prompting faculty layoffs, ceasing of extracurricular programs, etc. If after three years (I believe) schools cannot get a passing score, the threat is total disassembly of the infrastructure. New admin, new faculty, etc.
Short of incarceration. It's remarkable that the belief of punishing a school by taking away money will help them improve their scores. "Homey says what?"

Anyway, I have no answers or through provoking questions, nor am I commenting on your internal conflict of being labeled a digital native, digital native. I merely wanted to share...

TD

Zachariah E Biggs said...

Kathleen,

I have to say that I relate very well to your problem with labels. I've been dealing with a similar problem ever since I first heard the term Generation X. I was fairly young, thirteen I think, and I was looking for something to latch on to. I investigated and found that I may or may not be in this generation, depending on what you listened to or read. Years went by and I decided I was Generation X. Yep, no more wondering. Then I heard a new term...Generation Y. "What's this?" I thought. Maybe this is the answer I'm looking for. No such luck. It seems that being born in 1978 means that you could be either...or neither. I've even seen things that described the two terms as one ending in 1977 and the other beginning in 1979. Where does that leave me? 30 years old and completely clueless as to who society thinks I am. Like you and the Digital Native/Immigrant debate, i can see parts of myself described in the traits of both, but not completely fitting into either. I wonder what it is about us as a society that makes us feel the need to label ourselves at all.
I'm also taking Marketing this quarter by the way, and it seems to me to be all about labeling people.

Anyway, I wanted to leave a comment because your post was very interesting and touched on a subject close to my heart. Thanks for the great read.

-Zack