Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My Education and Technology

How has technology changed my education? Well... I feel like, until this year, my education hasn't changed because of technology. Technology had influenced my education but not changed it, until now.

I had computers early in elementary school that we used for typing practice, in-class assignments and educational games. By the time that I had to write my first paper, i was already online looking up information on the topic. I have been fortunate enough to have grop in a world where any information is right at the tip of my fingers. In middle school, most of the other kids were just taking classes on how to use the web to their advantage. I had to sit through these boring classes listening to a teacher trying to teach a class on something that she didn't know anything about. I think that I actually taught the teacher more than she taught the class. It wasn't until the 9th or 10th grade that i actually felt like my peers actually knew how to use technology to their advantage.

Now is a different story... This is my first quarter taking an onlie class and I love it. Before now information had always been given to me by a teacher or a text book. I had technologies to assist but the teacher or book usually gave all the information needed for assignments and tests, This kind of work and learning is very boring to me and every class, every year seemed to be the same old thing. Now, having tried the online learning, I have discovered a new and actually exciting way for me to learn.

Technlogy has now changed my education because I found a way to learn that I actually like. The challange of actually finding and discovering things on my own is awsome. I also love the freedom that the online class provides. Not only the freedom of not having to actually attend the class, but also the freedom to explore more things than just the textbook or teacher has to say. I know that i have always had the luxuryto use technology in this way but I had never been pushed to use it. That is what this class has done for me and now next quarter I am taking three classes online!

No comments: