Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Merits of Online Learning

The way I assess whether or not I've learned  or have been impacted by something is by keeping aware of its influence in my daily life.  They say that it takes consistent behavior modification over a period of several weeks to make something a habit, part of human routine.  Add or subtract a week and the underlying idea is valid.  Over time we become influenced by our environment.  Or at least we should.  I believe that receiving an education is similar.  Activity and passivity share a fine line, but by actively taking a step towards understanding and applying, it's a fine line that is never crossed.  Has this class, or, rather, has online learning influenced me in any way?  Was it rewarding or frustrating?  May I say yes and both?

I'm eager to understand the Web more but also anthropology.  I found myself thinking about the influence of the Web on society as  a whole and I'm eager to see where it goes.  If something causes me to ponder it while in the shower then it has indeed influenced me.  And there were many times I found myself doing just that.  Luckily for most of you, you have no idea what I look like, so you're spared the visual.  Sorry, Bill.  Kathlyn.   

While this class was enriching, it was exhausting to say the least.  I'm not sure why.  Perhaps it is a combination of several personal and academic factors.  There was much content to cover.  Covering it myself, as is the idea of online learning, was enjoyable; however, some of the content was somewhat dense (some of the videos we had to watch outside of the normal lecture).  However, the fact that there are professionals who are making a living off the IDEA of the Web or trying to understand it and predict it goes to show that it isn't an ill-fated fad.  If one wishes to get in on this market (I do), then learning as much about it as possible is desirable...even if some of the linked lecturers were drips or quite drab.

So I guess that is all that I have to say.  Do I have an elegant,magnificent, touching ending like some of the fascinating lecturers we've listened to?  I'm being serious.  Some of the short videos we watched  were quite remarkable and exciting.  No, I really don't have that.  But I would like to end with the reminder that while the Web is growing, changing, evolving, we still rely on a key element - as much as we enjoy watching videos, we still rely on the written or typed word.  Text.  Whether hyper or not, we must know be able to communicate effectively.  Hopefully I have.  

No comments: