Saturday, November 28, 2009

Learning Through Technology

Technology has changed education for me by allowing me to take classes online. If it wasn't for The Web, I probably would have never enrolled in this course due to my set schedule. With work and family there is no way I could have continued my education through a classroom environment. Yes, it may have been alright for the first few weeks or maybe even quarters, but it would have taken it's toll eventually.

The only way that I see it could be better, is if more classes were available online. I've taken almost every class that I could online and I think I am running out of this great option. Pretty soon all of my classes will need to be face-2-face. While this sounds like no big deal, consider the fact that I get up at 3:30 am for work and I can't even start an on campus class until 5pm.

I think spring quarter I have a late class that's F2F and after class I won't be home until almost 10pm. Now if I were to spend an hour after I got home to do some online class work and wind down a little, I'm looking at close to midnight before I go to bed. With more classes offered online, this would not be a problem.

4 comments:

Susan Houser said...

I also appreciate the convenience of online classes. Sometimes the face-to-face classes can really conflict with other commitments. It sounds like the rest your classes will be challenging to coordinate with your job schedule, and I hope that everything works out for you all right.

I think we will see more and more classes online as Web technology continues to advance. With faster connection speeds and a more dynamic Web environment, it is becoming easier to teach and communicate online. The Business Management Technology degree can now be earned completed online, and I’m sure other degrees will quickly follow.

Anonymous said...

Eventually, I think most classes will be offered online. Online classes are relatively new, and people with schedules like yours can earn their degree without compromising the schedule they already have. I know as far as our program, Bill and Kathleen have worked very hard to make sure we have as many options to learn as possible. Bill & Kathleen always listen to input from students.

Personally, I like having a balance between online and face-to-face classes. Take this class for example, it makes sense that this class is offered online considering the course material. For me, classes like Interactive Site Design are better to take in a classroom setting. It seems to be better to have face-to-face interaction in some classes, but technology is allowing us to bring that experience into online classes.

Captain Bill said...

Then there are the hybrid classes, where it's partially online and partially face-to-face. Or where face-to-face comes to you. Photography I online is a hybrid if the student uses the Web 2.0 options. Critique is really hard to do all asynchronous. Imagine having to WRITE your critique of every photo for every student...even if it's the best 3! Photog 1 online uses Flickr and dimdim to their fullest to bring the instructor to the student. As broadband spreads, I think we'll see more and more classes go this way. (If we can convince more programs than DMD!)

cassiewolford said...

I think that classes are going to become more available online. I too wish that all of my classes would be on the web. There are those areas, as Bill mentioned, that would be extremely hard to do and be time consuming if online. Anything is possible, right? Why can't we think of a way to make it easier and feasible to have all of our classes online?