Saturday, November 14, 2009

What Makes Web 2.0 Good? Blogs and Podcasts!

I agree with Tim Berners-Lee about "Web 2.0". It really is just a bunch of jargon. However, it is a term that will never go away until "Web 3.0". Whenever that happens. A lot of good things have come from Web 2.0.

Blogging is one of the most important technologies to come from Web 2.0. Before blogs, if someone wanted to make a website for free this would not be such an easy task. They generally would use a site like Yahoo!'s Geocities (which has just officially closed). I remember using Geocities a long time ago. It was pretty awful in my opinion. Now with sites like Blogger and Wordpress you can make a blog into a profession website for free. I think this is important for the web. Tim Berners-Lee was trying to make it easier for people to be connected and give them a voice. Blogs makes it easy for people to make their voice heard. I think Blogs will continue to be a very important part of the Web for many years to come.

Podcasting is quickly replacing TV for me. I use to get all my technology news from a TV channel called TechTV. However, they were merged with G4 and eventually my favorite show, The Screen Savers, got replaced by The Attack of the Show (a bad version of The Screen Savers with less content about technology). One of the hosts on the show, Kevin Rose (founder of Digg) started a podcast with the other host of The Screen Savers called DiggNation. Not only is it my favorite podcast, it is also my favorite show period.

DiggNation has over 200 episodes and over the past 4 years the production value has continued to go up. Podcasts can be just as good as regular TV shows. Because of podcasts one of my favorite shows that was cancelled was able to continue in the form of a podcast. DiggNation now has it's own company that produces various podcasts each week called Revision3. They have a wide range of shows, all of which are very well made. Another podcast that spinned off from The Screen Savers is This Week In Tech (or TWIT). I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in tech news.

Web 2.0 technologies have helped make the Web even better. I think some technologies like social networking need improvements. A lot of good has come from Web 2.0 like Blogs, RSS, and Podcasts. I'm excited to see what the future has in store for the Web!

3 comments:

Susan Houser said...

You gave some great examples of how Web 2.0 has enriched the user’s experience. I am excited to see what changes will take place in the future. As Bill pointed out in our first lecture, the Web is still a teenager. It is amazing realize how much it has changed from the beginning. What will it be like 20 years from now?

I tried searching “Future of the Web” and “Web 3.0” in Google, and it is clear that a lot of people are speculating about how the Web will change. It is a difficult thing to predict, but I think there are ways of anticipating different trends. One interesting article I found was The Future of The Web: Where Will We Be in Five Years? The author predicts 15 changes that we will see in the next several years.

Anonymous said...

You have made some great points about Podcasts, they seem to be replacing most standard television shows in terms of popularity. There are quite a few reasons for this, including portability and the fact that it is "On-Demand Programming". Overall, I think it is because they only have to appeal to the audience. They are not trying to impress TV executives, it is strictly for the fans.

As far as "Web 3.0" is concerned, I view it like I view "Web 2.0". It's just more marketing jargon, and the idea of labeling new versions should be disregarded completely.

Matt Bowman said...

Susan, like you I also found a few different sites talking about web 3.0. But John is right. Labeling the web with new versions is completely unnecessary. I think Tim O'Reilly only did it to create a buzz.