Saturday, November 7, 2009

Google is my friend

When I first started DMD I didn't even know what a flash drive was; this is so funny to me now to see how far I have come. Avidly I use tutorials and forums for guidance. Most of my searches are for web coding purposes, however I love Google and search with it for anything.

I find that Google has never steered me in the wrong direction. Many of my searches have established my favorites menu. In the Digital Graphics area I have found the following sites helpful and check them on a regular basis:

As for the web option I am still pretty new, however sites that were helpful with PHP included PHPfreaks and TutorialGuide. Most of the time I would start off my sites by making an outline so that I could look up anything I wasn't sure of before I started. In most cases I've been able to use Google and follow my search with 'forum' or 'tutorial'.

Technology has not changed the way I learn, however it has allowed for more opportunity.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Google is definitely a great resource, especially when you need to learn about something you have no previous knowledge of. I know when I was having trouble in Multimedia II, Google was the first place I would go. Sometimes it didn't work out, but at least 90% of the time it was very useful.

All of the sites you listed have been useful to me as well, especially DaFont. It has a great library of freeware fonts.

Another thing I have found useful is "StumbleUpon", which can point you to some very useful websites if you have your account set up right. To those who are not already using it, I highly suggest you do so.

Matt Bowman said...

I agree with you. However, I think that the same can be said for all serach engines. Sometimes I think we take for granted that their is more than just Google. Many of the podcasts and blogs I read have been giving Bing good reviews.

During my research for our search engine paper I found a rather interesting site. It is called Blind Search. This site allows you to search like normal, but you get 3 different results. These results are from Google, Bing, and Yahoo!. You do not find out which is which until you vote for the search result you found to the be the best results.

For that assignment I tried out 100 different search terms. I voted for Bing 44 times, Yahoo! 33 times, and Google (the search engine I have used for 6 or 7 years) only 23 times. I also noticed that Yahoo! and Bing have some unique features. However Google is being used by everyone when in reality all three of the major search engines are pretty similar.

Susan Houser said...

I also found that site, Matthew, and another one called Bing&Google that allows you to compare the search results side by side. It looks like the competition between Bing and Google is fairly intense, and it will be interesting to see how things play out in the future.

I have always used Google, but my research on search engines has got me interested in Bing. I think that Bing has some unique features in it's interface that make it very convenient. I especially like that my search history is displayed alongside the search results.

Susan Houser said...

Cassie: If you are looking for more Web design resources, you may want to check out blog.themeforest.net

One of my instructors recommended a tutorial on this site, and it has been really helpful. The site has a lot of tutorials and articles on a wide range of Web design subjects.

cassiewolford said...

I agree that many search engines can do the same thing. However, I have found Google to give me the most useful results compared to Bing, Yahoo, Ask, and Dogpile. I would not say that I oppose giving any suggestion a try, either. I will certainly try all of those everyone has suggested. Thanks for your input.