Thursday, November 12, 2009

Observing Web 2.0

"It was not long ago, on an Internet that did not yet include the World Wide Web, that finding files and resources or even locating a site on the Internet was considered a challenge…Overall, one’s interaction with the Internet was very narrow in focus and primitive in operation…” J. R. Okin  The Information Revolution

Today, the Internet presents itself as the complete opposite, as the keys to a wealth of information that is easy to access, manipulate, and contribute to. It is still incredible to realize how much the Web has changed things. It enabled everyday people to access information online, but that was only the beginning.

With Web 2.0 the user has changed from a mere observer to an influential contributor. The transition from Web 1.0 to Web 2.0 marks the Web’s transformation from a mere collection of information to a dynamic environment where users can easily connect and interact. The data itself has changed from a compilation of rigid facts conveyed by a select few to a growing source of information that is constantly evolving as it is shaped by the masses.

We could go back and forth about what exactly Web 2.0 means or whether the term even has significance, but no one can deny that the Web has seen some major changes in recent years.

Sometimes I feel almost breathless, but not necessarily from participating. I am fascinated by this rapidly changing environment and the new tools that are shaping it, but I am far from being immersed. There is so much being said and shared; yet I feel that I have been more of an observer than a contributor.  

I’m not sure why this is the case. I created a Flickr account in 2008 for a class assignment, but that typography project remains the sole image in my photostream. I have read a variety of blogs, but I almost never comment. I have gained a substantial amount of information from forums, but there are none that I visit on a regular basis. Perhaps it is lack of time, but I haven’t felt a strong need to become involved.

I think part of the reason is that I’ve yet to embrace the Web as a means of social interaction. Engaging in casual conversation is something I typically do in person, and I’m not sure that I will ever transition to making friends or keeping up relationships online.

For me, the Web is a tool for gaining information. If I ever engage in a conversation, it for a specific (usually academic) purpose. While I may never become a “social butterfly” online, perhaps I should consider contributing useful information on the Web and more actively helping other users. I have gained a good deal of knowledge through the efforts of other people, yet I haven’t given much in return. Somewhere out there are a few Web designers that took the time to answer my beginner questions, and perhaps I should look for ways to pass that kindness on.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right, the Web has gone through some drastic changes over the past few years. It does not surprise me, but I just don't see the point in labeling it as "Web 2.0". This is the type of progression that Tim-Berners Lee predicted for the Web, I personally think the whole idea of "Web 2.0" is just a marketing ploy.

I'm not much of a social person online either, I try to maintain relationships in a more personal way. There is something that is lost in translation when communicating online, something that can only be seen through experiences that happen in the real world. Adding the video element to Web communication has shortened the gap, but for me there is still something missing.

CharlieC said...

I'm not really socially active online either. I like to chat with people that I call my friends, but there is always an issue of trust. I have never met the person sitting in a cafe in India chatting to me in a game. How am I supposed to trust him?

I have played games online with many people from all corners of the world. I have also seen a few of these people trust others with their account information. Usually this ends with that person being scammed, losing everything they've worked hard for, and a few even being banned for account sharing.

While the internet is a great place to meet people, it is also a place of deceitfulness. Just because someone may be the nicest person alive, it doesn't mean everyone else is.

Matt Bowman said...

I use to be socially active on forums and IRC chat rooms when I was in middle school and high school. Now I only go to a couple different forums. I mainly communicate with people on WoW (World of Warcraft). The people I play with use Vent (a voice communication tool). This helps make things more personal. I have also done video conversation with a few of my best friends on WoW and people I know in real life.

If you are just talking to your friends then I think using a voice chat tool like Vent is just fine. I get the same basic thing out of it. The only part missing is their expressions, but if you know the person well enough then you can tell what kind of expression they are making or how they feel. Video conversations and real life communication is pretty much the same. The only thing you can not do is tough the person and be in the same room. Those two elements are not necessary for me with my friends.

Susan Houser said...

I agree, Charlie, that there is an element of uncertainty when it comes to interacting with people through the Internet. It is a great tool that allows us to interact with anyone, but that’s also part of the danger: anyone. Sometimes there is little way of knowing whom you are actually interacting with or what sort of people they really are.

That said, Matthew made the point that the Internet can be a great tool for communicating with family and trusted friends. Even when you are not sure whom you are communicating with, I know there are ways to make sure that your private information is protected. Personally, communicating in an online environment with strangers from around the world is a little scary to me, but I think that is mostly because it is something I am not used to.