Thursday, November 26, 2009

Search Engines

One of the biggest changes in the way I learn is through search engines. Search engines make finding out information a much easier, simpler, and faster process. Search engines on the web have made everything so much easier.

One area where search engines have helped just about every students is research papers. As you all know, doing research on a topic before the web required you to go to the library and read books. Books are good in many ways, but being able to find the same information on the web in just a few seconds is an even better thing. Not only do you find information quicker, but you also find a lot more information than what you would in your local library. Even though some information may not be accurate, the same thing can be said about books. Just because the information is in a book does not mean it is correct. So I see nothing bad about search engines. Being able to save time during the research process, enables you to spend more time working on creating a more creative and exciting paper.

Search engines are a crucial part of the way everyone learns on the web. Having quick and simple access to any kind of information we want is something we may take for granted now. I know if all the search engines on the web stopped working I would be loss. As would many other web users. The search engine technology has had a huge impact on the way everyone learns!

4 comments:

CharlieC said...

I agree that out of all of the web tools available, search engines prove to be the most beneficial. Wether it's for school, personal, or business, search engines provide access to a wealth of information.

I use search engines so much, that I have Google set as one of my favorites on the favorite bar in IE.

Anonymous said...

I agree completely, search engines have completely revolutionized the way we search for information. As far as false information is concerned, it is not an issue if you learn what to look for. Take Wikipedia for example, instead of taking the information at face value you can search through the reference links provided by contributors.

You also make a great point about books as reference material, if you are not paying attention you may come to find that the information is completely outdated. Ironically, old history books can sometimes be the most inaccurate reference material. Our understanding of most subjects changes on a daily basis, why not use references that are updated just as quickly?

Susan Houser said...

I agree. The advantage of the Web and search engines is that they provide a fast and frequently updated resource of information. I often find myself researching questions or interests online when I probably wouldn’t have bothered if it required me to take the time to find a book and search for the answer there.

That said, I think books often have the advantage of being comprehensive, well thought out, and thoroughly edited. They can provide a great way to gain a deeper and more complete explanation than can be found online.

cassiewolford said...

I love Google. Using them as my search engine saves me so much time. You can refer to my previous blog "Google Is My Friend". I agree with Charlie, that for whatever purpose school, home, work, etc. that search engines are extremely beneficial in providing us any informaton quickly.