Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Down Time

Just after high school my best friend and I got a job at a place called Major Builders. We built MI homes in a shop, labeled each wall, stacked, and nailed them together. After that we would load them on to a semi truck, and they would be shipped to the job site and put together like a puzzle. It was a blast, building a whole house on a table, wall by wall, interior and exterior. The hours were awesome, 4:30 am until 1:00 pm, half hour for lunch, and two fifteen minute breaks. When we would clock out it was time to party. Then I got a girlfriend, and boy did that whole party thing did not fly with her. So I got the newspaper out and found a wanted ad for a company by the name of Romanoff Electric, on the technology side.
I worked for Romanoff for about four years, until that side of the company went under. While working there I met two brothers and we ended up being pretty good friends. We were the last techs to be "laid off", so we exchanged info one last time and went our separate ways. Form there I went to different jobs for about six months, outside the construction field. Then got a job installing metal doors and frames for a company called Titan Doors.
After working at Titan Doors for about 5 years, I ended up on the same job site as the two brothers I met at Romanoff. We went to lunch and talked about what each of us was doing with our lives. They had started a sub-contracting company and was looking to add another employee. When they walked in and saw me they knew who they wanted to hire. So two weeks later I was working for Browns Cabling, a sub contractor for Consortium Communication. Every thing was great, for about two years, we were traveling different places like Michigan, West Virgina, Indiana, Iowa, Alabama, Louisiana, Connecticut, Missouri, Kentucky, Illinois, Tennessee, Georgia, Arkansas, and Pennsylvania. Working a companies like DHL, Best Buy, Buffalo Wild Wings, and the University of Phoenix. Then the "down time" hit, and we were lucky to get twenty hours a week. Before too long we were only working two or three days every two weeks, then we didn't work for a month. But since March of 2008, I had been waiting for Central Ohio Technical College to send my financial aid information. So it was time to go back to school.

No comments: