Thursday, October 23, 2008

Computer-Aided Drafting

I was about 14 years old when my father was taking a class at Muskingum-Perry Career Center for AutoCad. The instructor would set up a computer for me to play around on, and that was what got me into designing on computers. So when I became a junior in high school I myself attended MPCC and took the Computer-Aided Drafting course. The first year we didnt touch a computer, all of the drafting we did was on a drafting board with a piece of paper and a pencil. By the second year we were finally drafting on the computer, and at the begining of the school year Sheridan High School was planning to build a new set of restrooms for their football field. My teacher came to a friend of mine and me and asked us if we wanted to design the new restrooms as one of our projects for class, and after we had finised the blueprints he submitted them to Sheridan. Two weeks later we were informed that Sheridan was going to ues our drawings for the new restrooms.

4 comments:

proudmommaof2 said...

That is so cool that they used you and your friends idea! Have you designed anything else since then that has been built?

SSJRT said...

I did the drawings for a hardware store in Cambridge, OH, but i do not recall the name. But other than that no. Some of my classmates revised the Z-BUS pick up and drop off routes

Thomas Davis said...

It seems both frustrating and practical to not touch a computer for a year in order to first learn the core concepts of drafting. Makes pedagogical sense.

There must have been a strong sense of accomplishment with the restroom design being chosen. Were there other groups working on this project?

SSJRT said...

Yes, there were other groups working on the project. Not only some of our other classmates but there were three construction outfits that had submitted drawings too.