Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Curiosity is my main learning tool.

I always wanted to know everything, except what I was supposed to be learning, especially in school. My curiosity has lead be down many paths during my 35 years, from computers to welding, I never wanted to settle on one particular aspect. My grandfather told me that “You either know one thing really well or you know many things kind of well.” I chose the many things kind of well option, even though I don’t think that was the idea he was trying to instill in me. I graduated in 1991 from Licking County JVS for Computer and Related Technology, where we learned how to work from a Mainframe, program in Basic, RPG 2, COBOL, and learned accounting and various other office related technologies. It always frustrated me because they were teaching me to be a part of the workforce, but I just wanted to know about the guts of the computer. I was always focused on how things worked, and if I couldn’t understand that my learning experience was drastically affected. Looking back on growing up and learning, it seemed like I was part of this huge wave of knowledge and even still to this day I find myself playing catch up to all the new things out there. The things I learned in ’91 for the most part don’t apply today, and that pattern has continued my whole life. That is the main reason why I know I will never stop learning. My curiosity has always led me to new fountains of knowledge; I can still hear my Mom talking to my Dad about all the broken electronics in my room. She was concerned that I only had my Speak n Spell for about a week before I took it apart to see how it worked, of course I had no idea what I was looking at so I spent the next few days at the library figuring out what a transistor was, resistance, ohms law, of course I couldn’t spell any of this new found knowledge, because my Speak n Spell was broken. The same holds true today, although now I don’t have to break my laptop to see how it works, I can get online and look at all the schematics I want, I don’t have even go to the library now that there is Google, and Dictionary.com will pronounce the words I don’t know for me. What it all stems from is my voracious curiosity and my willingness to learn from it.

No comments: