Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Finding Myself

So..... after almost 6 years I'm finally ready.

Immediately after high school i enrolled in a four year college and I had no plan or goal for what I wanted to do. I screwed around, taking all of those boring required classes that everyone had to take like math, and psychology. I also took a few half way interesting classes but it wasn't enough to keep my attention for too long. So, without hesitation, one day i quit. I felt like the only reason i was doing it was to please my family and in doing so, i wasn't happy with myself. I was blind to the fact that they were just trying to help me, like they always have.

Until the age of 10 I was the only child in a VERY large and well off family, so needless to say, i was spoiled rotten and for some reason as i got older, it got worse. Everything in my life has been handed to me. If i ever need anything and couldn't take care if it myself, someone did it for me or was there to help. My nice car was paid for, my college was paid for and i really took it all for granted. I just up and quit after two years and baffled my entire family, leaving them all wondering why. My only answer was "because I'm not happy". Lets just say that didn't sit too well with anyone, but i didn't care.

After traveling around the country i ended up back here in Ohio, got a good job, met an awesome girl, then moved away once again. My girlfriend ended up getting a great job, but it was in Michigan, so i quit my job and followed her up there because she was my dream. As i sat around up there, bored everyday and no friends to hang with i had a lot of time to reflect. Time to think about what i want for myself and my girlfriend in the future. The answer was pretty simple...I want to be able to give my future family everything that my family has given me. I realized that wasn't going to happen working random jobs, living paycheck to paycheck, and getting help from my family. So I sat down, found something that i actually really liked/wanted, and took action.

A lot of my family told me that moving up to Michigan was a big mistake and they still might say that but in my mind its probably one of the best things to ever happen. I had to make some really hard choices, including leaving my girlfriend for 2 years, but it will be worth it, for both of us.

The most important thing is that i am happy with myself again.

It may have taken a while but, after finding something that i really like to do, i finally figured out why education and learning is so important.

1 comment:

proudmommaof2 said...

I believe that finding yourself is one of the biggest steps a person has to take in their life. If you cannot connect with the person that you are or the person that you want to be you could end of spending your whole life lost.