Sunday, October 26, 2008

All about reading???

Books are so 20th century does sound right... just about. No one really likes reading all the boring, big words that the author uses to make something sound more than what it is. If books got straight to the point, they would be cut down in pages and text to read. All the running on and on of this and that just to get to the real reason why you are actually reading in the first place just bores the reader and gives no interest on finishing.

I feel that this could also be a result of high school education. I'm not going to lie, I didn't take too much in high school very serious. I was a student athlete, receiving many awards in both fields and felt once it was all over, I didn't really work too hard. With the school hours and all the practicing throughout the day, I only managed to make it home to a cold supper and straight to bed, never really worked on schoolwork. I practically lived there, I guess. I was one of the students who was smart, but put only the effort needed into the work. But teachers never really sent us home with reading assignments, which now I feel it's hard to push myself to read in my free time. We always read our material out loud in class or the teacher gave us free time in class to do some reading.

In college, it's a different deal. We're grown-ups and are responsible. But then again, some instructors seem to not care the least bit about students and their education. Some just show up to throw the information out there and get out. Every student has their own little details/techniques that helps them take in the information and understand it. Hands-on, hearing and seeing, note guides, etc. are a few of what students like in their education. I feel as though educators don't give the students a good push and drive to want to learn the details. Finding something exciting in the text that could grab the attention of anyone helps. On the other hand, students need to realize it's the path they chose and deal with it. The least students can do is show up. So the faults are equally balanced between the two.

To end it, books are ridiculously boring and expensive. No one can argue that. :)

1 comment:

b-rent said...

I feel you, i was the same way in highschool.

I am really smart but never had any motivation to do anything but the minimum.

I always felt like it was a waste of time because i really wasn't learning anything that i didn't already know. Even the "gifted" program that i was in bored me. All we did was write papers about the dumbest stuff. One time i even rewrote a paper i had written in the 5th grade on acid rain and i got an "A" on it. lol

...and you are right on about the reading thing. Even though in some of my A.P. classes we had quite a bit of reading to do, the guided notes our teacher handed out in class along with the spark notes, found at the nearest book store, were just good enough to get that passing grade.

Back then my philosophy was... if you want a book to get straight to the point, put it down and buy the spark notes. lol