Saturday, October 24, 2009

Teacher 2.0

As far as my online learning experience goes; day and night. My previous experience was a summer government class. This class is only comparable to the difference between gym and summer gym. In gym I spent 5 days a week for 5 months doing various recorded games and conditioning. In the summer gym, however, we played putt-putt and bowled, and if it couldn't get any less tiring; the putt-putt was Young's Jersey Dairy. As a government class would take 5 days of 9 months, my summer government class to me all of 3 nights.

Now we have Captain Bill. Lectures are more like informative television shows embedded with brilliant embedded resources from things I have experienced and been apart of firsthand. When someone interrupts me working on this class I pause everything, and not because I don't understand most of it already but because they are quite interesting. In a web2.0 world it is extremely convenient to have a teacher2.0 who is on the same page as not only my web interests but more importantly my schedule.

References:
http://www.youngsdairy.com/

4 comments:

Matt Bowman said...

I agree. I like the way web 2.0 has been used throughout this course. I hope more teachers look at how Bill does his class. I personally would prefer all online classes to have video lectures by the teachers. Most students seem to think that it's a good idea. I know it has helped me learn about the web a lot easier.

Matt Bowman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan Houser said...

I agree that video lectures could be beneficial in a lot of online classes. Many of us have commented that it can be more difficult to learn challenging concepts online, and perhaps video lectures could help resolve this issue. It could be a way to present complicated material in a way that is more relaxed and engaging.

Everyone learns differently. While some learn well through reading, others prefer to have visual and/or audible instruction. I think incorporating video lectures helps satisfy a broader range of learning needs.

Reference:
http://www.vark-learn.com/english/index.asp

Matt Bowman said...

I think a good way to make it easier on the teachers to make video lectures is to give each teacher that has an online course a mic. Every class I have had so far has some sort of lecturing and generally a pointpoint as well. If the audio was recorded and the screen was captured then it could be made into a video. The recording could be done at the same time as the lectures they give in class. Just put the captuing software on the computer they are running and have the mic recording when they start the lecture. This type of thing is getting easier and easier to do. I think a lot of teachers would be able to do this. Not having that audio interaction between the teacher hurts some students. If they had the same lecture as the people that did not take the class online then they might do just fine.