Friday, October 30, 2009

Choosing DMD

Throughout my education experiences I can certainly say I have tried a bit of everything. It was not until I found Digital Media that I was really happy and could see myself doing this kind of work for the rest of my professional career. Granted it has taken me awhile to find what it is that I want but now that I am here I want to keep learning and enjoy the Digital Media classes.

In 2001 I started college at Zane State College as a Criminal Justice Major. I picked this major because I was so tired of math and science from high school that I wanted to stay away from it in my profession. How silly when I think about it now. I ended up finishing with a double major in Criminal Justice; I have an Associates in Applied Science for Police Science and Corrections. I went to work at the Juvenile Detention Center in Muskingum County as a Juvenile Corrections Officer. At first it wasn't so bad, however, you can only do so many crosswords and stare aimlessly before you realize you are not happy. There was no way could have done that forever it was beyond boring.

I actually did not start back to college until 2006. When I did all I knew is that I wanted to find something I loved to do because I could not picture dreading my job everyday again. My mom and sister are nurses so I tried to do Human Biology. Quickly, I realized it's not really for me. At COTC I actually started out in Forensic Science, but the degree you earn is apparently only valid in Florida so I moved on. I went through Child Development and Social Work before I found Digital Media. A couple girls in my Public Speaking class were showing me their work and telling me about the program. I have always had an artistic and creative talent so I knew it just may be what I was looking for.

The Winter of 2007 I enrolled in Digital Media and I began seeing the world through a new set of eyes. Colors never seemed so different, a landscape was never so picturesque, a billboard never again was the same. I have one class left for my Digital Graphics degree, however, I want to learn so much more. There are so many places you can go with Digital Media and that is one thing that makes me love the program; I don't have to go to work everyday to do the exact same thing day after day. I want to keep learning and know all that I can in this program so that I can not only be an asset to a company when I start my profession, but so that I can go to work everyday knowing that I am going to be happy and enjoy what I do for a living.

3 comments:

Susan Houser said...

It sounds like you have had quite a journey, and I’m glad that you have found something that you are passionate about. Everyone is unique, and it’s exciting to see how each of us is inspired to pursue different things.

When I took the entrance test at COTC in the spring of 2006, I was considering majoring in accounting. I almost enrolled in the fall, but I eventually decided to wait. My dad and two of my brothers are accountants (or studying to be accountants), but I just couldn’t get excited about it. Yes, it was practical, but it seemed rather dull to me. While my older brother finds a page of accurate figures to be “a beautiful thing,” I am less inspired by the idea. :)

When I did enroll at COTC, I went the opposite direction and pursued something entirely creative. The Digital Media Design program has helped me develop some wonderful skills, and I am happy to be learning something that I can be excited about.

Matt Bowman said...

I know some friends that had similar experiences like you. They have been through 4 or 5 different majors and are still not sure what they want to do as a profession.

I never was into drawing, but I really enjoyed computers. I started becoming interested in web design when I was in middle school so I figured DMD would be a good choice for me.

I'm considering another major down the road that has something to do with PC troubleshooting. Hopefully everyone in the class will be able to find a job we enjoy going to. A lot of people are not that lucky sadly.

cassiewolford said...

My mother and sister are both in the nursing field. When I was trying to sort out my plans for what I wanted to do they thought I was just delaying the inevitable and I would never be able to make money with a job from this field. I went to school and told Kathleen because I was really distraught. Kathleen laughed and told me I would be crazy to leave the program...especially for nursing. She sent my mom an article about the design field and how much designers can make. I was never bothered again about persuing a nursing career. Thank God.