Thursday, October 22, 2009

Learning Online...

I have taken six online classes so far, and I really enjoy that style of learning. I appreciate being able to log on and complete my work whenever it is most convenient. Also, I like having the freedom to put as much time as I need into each assignment, spending more time on troublesome concepts and moving quickly through ones that I find easier to grasp.

Most of all, I enjoy communicating online. Interacting through a blog is very different than having a normal classroom conversation. There is no pressure for an immediate answer and no classroom full of people watching you. Each student has the opportunity to reflect and give thoughtful responses.

Though I think online learning has some distinct advantages, there are times that I do miss having face-to-face interaction with my instructors and classmates. The energy and flexibility of an in-person conversation is hard to replicate online. In a classroom, we can easily adapt to the moment, whether responding to a casual question or taking the lesson an entirely different direction to explore something the students don’t understand.

I think it would be interesting to integrate some type of real-time communication into online classes. Yes, we would be less asynchronous, but I think it could make online learning a more dynamic and spontaneous experience. I know that many classes incorporate this already, and I hope to be able to experience it at some point.

Overall, I have really enjoyed learning online, and I am excited to watch it continue to grow and develop.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leaning online seems to have many good sides, and overall I have thoroughly enjoyed taking classes online. You may lose some of the spontaneity of face-to-face conversation, but it has been replaced by a much deeper and thoughtful experience. Instead of worrying about what other people think, the online venue gives you more confidence to speak your mind freely. This is not to say face-to-face interaction does not have merit, but I feel as though online conversation gives a voice to some people who are too shy to speak up in a classroom setting.

Susan Houser said...

Yes, I agree that online learning creates a unique opportunity for students to communicate. Most of us would not be able to give such thoughtful responses in a face-to-face class, but an online class allows us to prepare ahead of time and eliminates the discomfort of speaking in front of people.

Online learning has already shown its value in a number of ways, and I look forward to watching it continue to grow. You mentioned in another comment that you are more comfortable taking challenging classes in a face-to-face setting. I feel the same way. Perhaps it is habit, but I find it easier to work through a difficult concept when I can ask the instructor to explain or demonstrate in person. Do you think there are ways that online classes could become more effective in helping those who are struggling with the material?